Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Holiday Earl

The last sandwich in my pre-Thanksgiving run of the Thanksgiving Sandwich Project comes from the Earl of Sandwich. Their holiday sandwich has garnered quite a number of raves online, mostly from fans of their Disney location. With that many people in love with the sandwich, I figured it had to be good.


Like other Thanksgiving sandwiches, this sandwich had turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy. But unlike the others I tried, this one also had seasoned mayo. I wondered if that would make the difference since the Pret holiday sandwich also included mayo and that one was great.

I unwrapped my sandwich and on first glance it looked nothing like the one in the picture. But I thought maybe inside it would look similar to the picture and that my bread was just thicker. I do like the bread at Earl of Sandwich. It's soft and fluffy.


I lifted the bread (which had split in 2 at some point during my walk) and was really confused. All I could really see were turkey slices and a lot of mayo. A lot of mayo.


As I ate the sandwich, I did come across some stuffing and cranberry sauce in addition to the turkey and mayo but it was not nearly as balanced as the promotional photo. I was actually kind of disappointed since I expected this to be my favorite sandwich in the Thanksgiving Sandwich Project but it wasn't. There was just too much mayo. I liked that it was turkey slices, I liked the seasoning of the stuffing and I liked the small amount of cranberry sauce that I came across. But I just felt like the arrangement of the sandwich was off and that it was almost like the contents had fallen into and gotten fished out of a container of mayo.

I will give this sandwich another chance, partially because I like Earl of Sandwich and partially because, if so many people like this sandwich, there must be something good about it. Next time I think I will ask if they can go light on the mayo, and if not, ask for it without mayo. I'm interested to see if that will make a difference. I don't think I would mind the mayo - but in moderation. Too much mayo makes for a not so thrilled me.

So who is winning this Thanksgiving/Holiday Sandwich Project (which may continue through the holidays if I can find more sandwiches)? Right now Cosi is in the lead. But for now, I need a break from turkey before Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment