Friday, November 4, 2011

Ginza Sushi

It took me forever to decide what to order for dinner tonight. I wanted something new, but didn't want to get stuck with a bad meal. I wanted something healthy, but not something flavorless. Eventually I decided on a sushi place called Ginza (at 35th & 2nd), which seemed to have pretty good reviews.

I started with the salad that came with my roll combo:


It was your standard Japanese restaurant salad with ginger dressing. Mostly lettuce, but a few pieces of cucumber and carrots were mixed in. The lettuce was fresh and crisp, which was refreshing. The dressing also tasted like it had an extra ingredient not in some others, some spice that's a little smokier. Not sure how else to describe it. The salad wasn't anything amazing but it was good.

Next, I tried the appetizer - wasabi shumai ($4.50):


I wasn't sure what to expect - shumai with some wasabi mixed into the filling? But I think the wasabi was mixed into the wrapper. And it was hot. I got that searing nose-burning post-wasabi feeling and it felt great. Other than the wasabi, the shumai were kind of ordinary.

The roll combo I got consisted of spicy tuna, spicy salmon and spicy yellowtail rolls ($13.95):


I prefer roll combos with more of a mix of roll types, but it seems like a lot of places just put all the spicy rolls together. This set was OK. It was better than some other combos I've gotten for delivery, but it wasn't fantastic. The balance between the fish and the mayo was a little off and weighted in the mayo direction. It made the roll pieces feel heavier and it also dulled the flavor of the fish. You can see it in the photo since the pieces are largely the same shade. Too much mayo. I would be interested in trying some of their other rolls (more clean ones, like salmon/avocado) to see if they're better without the mayo. For this set, I would rank it (best to worst) as spicy tuna, spicy salmon, spicy yellowtail.

A plus for Ginza - I'm about 10 blocks and 4-5 avenues away, and they arrived in less than 20 minutes. Their estimate was 25-40 minutes, so I was quite pleased with the speedy delivery (and nothing spilled). I would order from them again.

The only bad thing is now I want really good sushi. Maybe we'll remedy that this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment