Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Thai Chick

FreeFoods is an organic place near my office. I've walked by it numerous times, and even walked in on occasion, but my dinner order tonight was the first time I've ever gotten food from them. It's not that the dishes don't sound good (they do); it has more to do with the price. It's very difficult to have lunch there for $10 or less (my target). Delivery tonight seemed like the perfect way to try it out. FreeFoods also happens to be on the same block as my current block by block challenge, so I think I'll count this as my "visit" there, since the price might otherwise exclude it from the challenge.


I got a specialty sandwich and one of the daily/weekly salad specials. The portions weren't that huge (the box is about the size of a pen), but that's probably better for my calorie count.


I got the smallest size ($7.50) of the salad special - the sweet and sour cucumber salad with arugula and mint - which also came with jicama, cherry tomatoes, green onions and sesame seeds.


This was pretty good, but the arugula was quite bitter. I know that's how arugula is, but the bitterness overpowered some of the other vegetables in the salad. Loved the jicama and cherry tomatoes. They were really refreshing.

For my sandwich, I ordered one of the more popular items, the Thai Chick ($11.75):


The Thai Chick consists of Thai basil chicken salad, greenmarket sprouts, cashews and sesame chili dressing in a whole wheat wrap.


The sandwich was good. The ingredients are very high in quality. It was "real" chicken, as a stray piece of chicken bone ended up in the wrap. I really liked the flavor of the chicken salad mixed with the chili dressing. Another nice touch was the grilling of the wrap. It gave the outside of the wrapper that crunchy feeling (like with a sugar cookie) that I liked. I would recommend this sandwich if you're open to spending $11.75 on a wrap.

The argument for the high prices is probably the ingredient quality, the fact that you're paying for and get organic, fresh, high quality product. But what I paid for dinner in order to be full, about $20, is too much for me to spend on lunch. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I can afford to eat there all the time. But I might order dinner from them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment