Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Different Kind of Quesadilla

It was such a gorgeous afternoon today that I had to take a walk at lunch. I found myself back at the Tacos y Quesadillas Mexico cart (53rd between 7th and Broadway) and this time, I decided to get one of the quesadillas.

First glimpse of the quesadilla

When I opened my foil package, I was surprised by what I saw. Usually when I hear the word "quesadilla," the image of 2 flour tortillas with shredded cheese and pieces of grilled chicken pops into my head. Maybe it's the influence of Taco Bell. Or maybe it's due to my cheap way of making quesadillas like that in law school (in the microwave!).

This quesadilla, however, had a crispy (but not crunchy like a hard shell taco) corn-based exterior. It was folded up like one giant taco but had obviously been on the griddle to melt all the ingredients together before it was packed up and handed over to me.

Opening the quesadilla to check out the ingredients

Inside the quesadilla was some grilled chicken, lettuce, sour cream, cheese (it was a white cheese of some sort) and spicy sauce. This was a really good quesadilla. Everything blended together so well in every bite. There was the slightly rougher texture of the meat, the creaminess of the sour cream and cheese, the light zing of the spicy sauce, the crunch of the lettuce and the crispiness of the shell. They asked if I wanted it spicy, and I said medium spicy, but I think next time I may just go for it, as the spicy sauce was pretty good. I was very happy with my choice. I think I liked the huarache better but I think that's just because huaraches are one of my favorite foods.

Now that I've had the chorizo huarache and chicken quesadilla... next time I must try the tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment