Thursday, November 10, 2011

Opa!

Greece, like Hawaii, is a really special place for us. We went there on our honeymoon earlier this year (which we are very far behind on recapping) and had a fantastic time. When we saw the Greece kiosk, it made us happy since it reminded us of all the bright white and blue buildings we saw in Mykonos.


We were familiar with everything being offered at the Greece kiosk. We had eaten souvlaki, Greek salads and Greek yogurt many times before the festival. We have also had grilled Greek cheese, but not with honey and pistachios.


Griddled Greek cheese with pistachios and honey ($3.25):


M's take: This was interesting. As mentioned before, we have had grilled Greek cheese but not with toppings of honey or pistachio. Usually we get saganaki which comes grilled with some lemon flavor, or, in the case of a spicy saganaki we had in Athens, topped with tomato and onions (if I remember correctly). I love Greek cheese. It has a really unique taste and is great when it's grilled. The cheeses are often on the harder side, so the texture when grilled is really good. I still prefer savory saganaki to the sweet flavors of this one, but this was still good.

A's take: Grilled cheese is one of my favorite Greek appetizers, but honey and pistachio was a first. Normally it's just flambeed with some brandy and eaten over bread/pita. The cheese itself tasted good, milder than some of the other saganaki we have had, but the honey and pistachio just didn't seem right. The dish itself tasted just fine, and I would not turn it down if offered more, but I don't think it's something I would pay for again.

Greek salad with pita bread ($3):


M's take: Like most Greek salads, this consisted of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, red onions and olives. I liked it but it's not even close to as good as the Greek salads we've had in Greece, or even here at home. I think I found it a little salty.

A's take: Eh, I didn't really care much about this dish. There wasn't the usual freshness and crispness that I've seen from other Greek salads, but that is most likely due to the mass production of the dish. It was too salty, and the lettuce was too soggy.

Chicken souvlaki with tzatziki ($4.25):


M's take: The souvlaki was really tasty and the tzatziki (yogurt plus cucumbers plus herbs) was excellent. Wrapped up in the pita, this was a nice bite. My only complaint is that, for the size, it's a little pricey (even by festival standards).

A's take: I kept trying to figure out where the rest of the dish was. Sure, this is all souvlaki really is supposed to be, but if you're paying that much, I would expect a little more. Flavor-wise it was okay, but nothing too spectacular.

Dannon Oikos Greek nonfat yogurt parfait with strawberries ($2.50):


Great view of the lagoon during our Greek meal. Happy to get tables unlike Saturday!

M's take: The yogurt was good and very similar to the rice pudding dessert we had at the Scandinavia kiosk (probably because both were mixed with strawberries). It felt healthy and light. I liked it, but I think I liked the rice pudding dessert better.

A's take: I'm sure by now you know that I like Greek yogurt a lot. This definitely lived up to my expectations. Nice and light with just the right amount of creaminess. The berries were an excellent addition, and the fried noodle-y bits on top added a nice texture to the dessert.

Favorite dishes at the Greece kiosk:
A: Yogurt
M: Chicken souvlaki

No comments:

Post a Comment