Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple Rosemary

The Monday custard flavor of the month at Shake Shack is apple rosemary. It's the one flavor this month we knew we had to try.


M's take:

When I went to pick this up at Shake Shack, they gave me a sample after I ordered to make sure that I actually wanted to get it. It made me a little nervous because I thought maybe they had gotten a lot of complaints about the flavor. Instead, the guy told me it was fine but just a little unusual, so he wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting. I appreciated the candor.

I think a big reason it is unique is that it has a bit of an herbal flavor, which was the first thing I noticed. Another interesting aspect of it was that after each spoonful, it felt like I had taken a bite of a fresh juicy green apple. Most of the Shake Shack custards aren't that refreshing. This one was like a combination of vanilla custard (which was nicely subdued half the time), green apple and herbs. I liked it.

A's take:

This was an intriguing flavor. There's a definite spice/herb flavoring to the custard, and the apple is evident as well. The apple, however, is much more subtle, and comes on strongest after the fact. It's a very refreshing taste that leaves your mouth feeling clean even though you've just eaten custard. I also noted that the custard itself seemed more "icy" and crystalline in texture, and I can only attribute that to the wateriness of the apples mixed in. This was a very well matched custard flavor that apparently has not been well received. That's a shame as it's slightly more out of the ordinary, and in my opinion, a refreshing change.

Apple Rosemary
A's rating: 7/10
M's rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment