Saturday, November 12, 2011

Escargots et Coq au Vin

We stopped by the France kiosk during the most gorgeous sunset. Seeing the vibrant oranges and pinks over the "Eiffel Tower" (Epcot version), it was the closest we had ever been to a Parisian experience. Hopefully someday we'll get to the real Paris.


The France kiosk's menu had one of our favorite appetizers, escargots, so we were excited to try the food!


All the French menu options:

Our food at the kiosk, waiting for us to devour it

First up, escargots persillade en brioche (snails in garlic and parsley brioche) ($4.95):

Escargots

Opened up brioche rolls

The English menu description was a little strange here, implying that the snails were cooked in garlic in a parsley-flavored brioche. But it was really just the usual snails in butter, garlic and parsley, all inside little brioche rolls.

M's take: Yum, escargots is always so good. So buttery, so garlicky. 1.5 pieces each was not enough and we wanted more! Definitely one of my favorites.

A's take: This wasn't the best escargots I've ever had, but it was still very tasty. Very buttery, very garlicky, and the mini brioche rolls fit everything perfectly. We wish it came in a larger portion, and we wish we could have gotten more.

Next, the coq au vin sur gratin de macaroni (red wine braised chicken, mushrooms, pearl onions and macaroni gratin) ($4.95):


M's take: I had heard lots about coq au vin, but had never eaten it before. This was not how I imagined it would look. I didn't really taste much wine in the sauce, but the chicken was tasty. The texture was interesting, as it was all fairly soft like a casserole. This wasn't bad.

A's take: My only experience in the past with coq au vin was when my coworkers and I would make fun of our French coworker about it. All I knew is that it involves cooking a rooster somehow. This was a hen, but I'm not one to say whether or not that really makes much difference since I have no experience with it. The wine was mild in flavor, but it was evident in the sauce. The chicken was also stewed nicely and was fork tender and fell off the bone. Good flavors overall.

Dessert ended the meal - creme brulee au chocolat au lait (chocolate milk creme brulee topped with caramelized sugar) ($3.95):


M's take: Creme brulee is so rich and the only part of it that I really like is the crunchy caramelized sugar layer on top. Here, the creme brulee was chocolate-flavored, which was nice, but I still found this very rich.

A's take: The creme brulee was very rich and creamy, and it had good texture. The chocolate flavor threw me a bit as this was the first time I had ever had a chocolate creme brulee. The sugar was caramelized perfectly and added that nice crunch to the dish.

Favorite dishes at the France kiosk:
A: Escargots
M: Escargots

No comments:

Post a Comment