Wednesday, October 5, 2011

No Tacos

Apparently today was National Taco Day. Somehow, despite my taco obsession, I missed that. I even got lunch from a cart called Tacos y Quesadillas Mexico, but didn't get tacos. How is this possible?


There were so many options at the cart that it took me awhile to decide. Did I want a torta? Did I want huaraches? Did I want tacos? Maybe a quesadilla? Chorizo, chicken, tinga, lengua, what to get?


I eventually decided on a chorizo huarache. When I went to El Rey for the first time, I got a huarache and not tacos since I was missing Country Boys (the huarache truck at Red Hook) so much. I figured, why not do the same here and see how the huaraches are? I have loved huaraches since the first one I tried at Country Boys and am always looking for places that make good ones. (Side note: How have we never written about huaraches before?!)


If you've never had a huarache before, it consists of a fried masa base topped with meat (chorizo in this case), beans, cheese, spicy green sauce, lettuce and other good stuff. Here's a closer look:


This huarache was delicious. I wasn't sure how well it would travel and I had a few blocks to go to get back to the office, so I figured it would be a soggy mess that I would have to eat with a fork like the El Rey ones (not that I object that much to that as the flavor is still there). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the huarache had stayed crispy; I could fold it and eat it with my hands without it falling apart. In fact, it didn't fall apart at all. That's a winner in my book. I will definitely be returning to this cart to try out more stuff. I am excited that I finally made it there and want another huarache!

No comments:

Post a Comment