Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dave's Catch

I have been reliving the delicious fish sandwiches we got in Maui two years ago and as a result, have been really craving a good fish sandwich. I saw this tweet at lunchtime from Tri Tip Grill (I usually go there for salads) and knew I had to go:


The sandwich, according to the wall chalkboard at Tri Tip that usually displays the specials, was called "Dave's Catch." (I liked how it showed up on the receipt as "Dave's Catch!!" The enthusiasm made me smile.) It consisted of the fish sandwich and seasoned waffle fries:

Confession: I ate some of the fries before taking this photo since I was hungry

As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to avoid fries unless they seem like they will be something other than boring and ordinary fries. I would have asked about substitutions but then I saw they were seasoned waffle fries, so I went for it.


I was not unhappy with that choice. The seasoning was good. The fries weren't that crisp but I'm not a stickler for super crisp fries, so it was OK with me. (And the softness of the fries isn't from the transport - I was so hungry that I ate a few before walking back...)

I wasn't sure what steelhead was when I saw the tweet other than a type of fish. (Google informed me that it was a type of rainbow trout. If you want to know more, go here.) After having the sandwich, it seems like it is very similar to salmon.


The sandwich made me happy. It wasn't as good as the fish in Maui, but how do you beat fish that is walked out of the ocean and right into a restaurant (we saw that happen at our wedding brunch)? Two years ago yesterday, we went to Paia Fish Market which has the best fish sandwich I have ever eaten (at least I can't think of a better one right now) - an excellent ono burger. This steelhead sandwich wasn't quite on that level, but it hit the spot for my fish sandwich craving.

A salmon-like fish can be tough because it can easily get dry. This one was not. It came with spicy mayo but the sauce wasn't overwhelming and complemented the fish really well. The lettuce, tomato and onion toppings were all really fresh. And finishing it off was a nice soft white bread roll. I was glad that it wasn't some hard baguette like some other places would use. The fish piece didn't quite fit into the bread since it was more round and the bread was more long. Perhaps a round roll would have made it easier to eat, but if that's my biggest complaint, it must have been a good sandwich!

Although I don't actually eat tri tip, Tri Tip Grill is one of my favorite places to grab lunch. Everything I have gotten there has been of the highest quality. I would definitely get "Dave's Catch" again!

Tri Tip Grill is located in the Rockefeller Center Concourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment