Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Trouble With Fries

I didn't always love fries. For a period of my adult life, maybe about 5 years, I didn't really eat fries. I made special exceptions for seasoned fries or curly fries, but otherwise, I never ate them. I didn't feel like I was missing anything. They were kind of unnecessary. After all, I could just have onion rings!

My turkey burger with a lot of fries

Fast forward to the present day and fries seem to be everywhere, and there are even more places that have good fries. But it's starting to get to me. They're such an easy sabotage food for trying to get into shape!

Tonight I ordered from Connolly's because they were close to the office and had a fast delivery estimate. I wanted to eat while working and then run to the gym before they closed. I got the Aztec turkey burger (not so bad), with cheese (not so good), tomato salsa (good), guacamole (not great but not bad). It was supposed to come with lettuce and tomato (as you can see, they are not pictured, since they forgot to include them), pickle (fine but not crispy like I like them) and fries (and look at all the fries). The problem with the fries is that they were unexceptional. I shouldn't have eaten them but they were there and I have no self-discipline. I made it to the gym but the workout, while fine, didn't feel great in the end because I still feel overloaded by greasy mediocre fries. There was nothing wrong with the fries, but nothing great about them either.

(And on the "Aztec" turkey burger - it was fine but not really very "Aztec" which makes me think spicy and flavorful. It just tasted like a guacamole turkey cheeseburger.)

So, in an effort to get back into a better lifestyle, I'm cracking down on fries again. I'm not cutting them out altogether but I don't need these ordinary diner or pub or fast food fries. Between seasoned fries, curly fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, Shake Shack and Five Guys, and Dutch/Belgian-style frites, I think I'll have more than enough options for good fries without needing to resort to "generic" fries that are nothing but inches added to my waistline. And if I decide on any particular day that I really want fries, then so be it. There's no point in getting fixated on something to eat and then thinking about it non-stop so that you eat more of it. But I will be making more of an effort to not eat regular fries. It's not worth feeling like this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment