Sunday, August 14, 2011

Taki Sushi

I like spicy sushi rolls. So, when stuck at the office last night, it sounded like a good choice for delivery. I ordered from a place near the office, Taki Sushi, which, despite how close it is, I have never been to or ordered from before. It was fine but I don't think I'll be replacing the usual sushi places that I order from in my "rotation."

I started out with some shumai:


It was fine, but I've definitely had better shumai. It reminded me of those big bags of shumai that you can buy at the Asian grocery store and reheat later. Maybe it was...

The roll combo I got came with a choice of miso soup or salad. I'm dumb, as I should have gotten soup because of my sore throat, but instead I got the salad:


I like the salads at Japanese restaurants (even when they consist of only lettuce) because I love the dressing, which is usually a carrot ginger dressing (or something similar). There was something about this dressing that tasted unusual and a little funny (not in a rotten sense, but in a weird sense). It was kind of sweet and citrus, but simultaneously tasted like it was trying to be the usual carrot ginger dressing. Not sure what was up with that but I didn't really want more than a few bites. If it was supposed to be just an orange salad dressing, then I guess it would be fine, but I am not a big fan of fruit-flavored salad dressings, which would explain the dislike.

The roll combo came with 3 different rolls. From left to right, they were spicy tuna, spicy salmon and spicy California rolls:


The spicy tuna and spicy salmon both tasted like just mashed up fish plus spicy mayo. The California roll was your standard California roll with the spicy mayo drizzled on top. I think the biggest problem with each roll was that the flavor was mostly just spicy mayo instead of having a flavor of its own. I really like spicy tuna rolls but I wouldn't put this in my top 10 list. They were fine but nothing I'll be craving anytime soon.

(I know recently there have been plenty of posts where food was fine but nothing special. I promise that I'm not just hating on everything. There has been food that was good recently - like the polenta at Schnitzel & Things if I ever get around to writing about it or the Katchkie turkey sandwich that I had the same day as the sushi - so it's not like everything has sucked or my taste buds are malfunctioning.)

If you're in midtown NYC, what's your go-to sushi place for delivery?

No comments:

Post a Comment