Monday, October 10, 2011

Walnut Pesto

Today I went to Hale and Hearty for some soup even though it was over 80 degrees.  I was originally going for the split pea with turkey but they ran out.  Instead of waiting another 5 minutes, I decided to go for the asparagus, potato and leek. I wrote about that soup once before (just over a year ago!) but the last time I got it the temperature was ~30 degrees cooler.  We're really having a warm spell this October (not complaining).
 
I got the monthly special sandwich - grilled chicken with feta cheese and walnut pesto.  The sandwich description sounded delicious - sliced grilled chicken with "savory walnut pesto, topped with crumbled feta cheese, sliced tomato, red onion and baby arugula" on their signature ciabatta square.
 
It was really good.  I like most of their sandwiches on ciabatta (since the ciabatta is not hard and has just the right chewiness) and find the balance between the meat, cheese and veggies to be good. The only thing that confused me was that I couldn't tell it was walnut pesto.  It just tasted like any other pesto to me.  That was fine, since I'm not a huge nut person, but I had been curious how walnut pesto would be different from regular pesto.  But that was only a fleeting thought as I ate the sandwich.  I really liked it.  Perhaps I should try all the monthly sandwiches to see how good they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment