Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kari Ayam

The Malaysia Kitchen Food Truck is currently out at lunchtime in NYC and will be on the road (during the week) for the next month or so. The aim of the truck is to promote Malaysian food and restaurants, and they are giving out free food at their station each day.

Today I heard they were parked near Bryant Park, so I ventured over around 2. There wasn't much of a line at all since it was on the later side.


Since it's all free samples, they limit you to one per person. Not having more choices and not taking money also helps the line move faster (and it moves quickly). Although free giveaways usually mean a madhouse, this line was fairly short.


They did a great job with the truck itself. If I were doing one of those marketing surveys where you pick which design you like, this would be up there.


The choices for the day, coming from Fatty Crab (which I have always wanted to try but haven't gotten to yet), were between kari ayam (chicken curry) and nasi lemak (coconut rice served with sambal, egg and cucumbers). My first instinct was to get nasi lemak because, well, I like nasi lemak. But I also like chicken curry and thought maybe that would be more flavorful. So I changed my mind and got that.


But the chicken had more skin than it did meat:


The coconut rice was good. The meat that I did get had a very mild flavor but it was good when mixed with the rice. It was just disappointing that it was so much skin and bone, and not much actual meat on the chicken. I should have gone with my first instinct and gotten the nasi lemak. Oh well. But, really, can't complain too much - it's free!

I'll be keeping an eye out for their tweets to see when they're in the neighborhood next. I can't wait to try something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment