Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Bounties Pt 1

Fall is M's and my favorite season. The weather gets nice and cool, the leaves change colors, and Oktoberfest and fall harvest beers start coming out everywhere.

So Saturday M and I went out for a friend's birthday. We went up to Astoria and met everyone out at Studio Square. It's a beer garden, but they have a large indoor space as well that was quite comfortable. I was quite excited because Studio Square had a full complement of Oktoberfests on tap, and they had Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. I started out by getting a pitcher of Hofbrau Oktoberfest since I love Oktoberfests, and Hofbrau consistently makes a good one every year.

A big reason I like Hofbrau is because of the sweetness of the caramelized malt. That's one of the defining traits of Oktoberfests, and Hofbrau really just does it well. Throughout the night people got many different pitchers. We went through Sam Adams Coastal Wheat, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and Spaten Oktoberfest. Then someone went and got the aforementioned Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. OH MY GOD. It was like heaven in my mouth.

If you like pumpkin pie, you will love Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. It's not as sweet as a real pumpkin pie, but you taste all of the spices and flavors found in one, and just a hint of sweetness to finish it off. It's one of the most amazing beers I have ever drank, and I drank a whole lot (probably too much) of it. At some point M convinced me to leave behind my new favorite beer ever and go home. Thinking back on it, that decision was probably the right one. I really didn't need any more. I'll just have to look for it in the stores now so I can enjoy them here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment