Tuesday, September 27, 2011

African Salad

Last night I was looking for a healthy dinner and decided to go vegetarian with delivery from Crisp. I wrote before about how much I loved their Africa handbag sandwich, but for dinner, I decided to try it as a salad.

I guess I wasn't as falafel-ed out as I thought

Similar to the sandwich, the salad came with North African peanut sauce, sweet potatoes, corn salad, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and habanero harissa sauce, in addition to salad greens and 4 falafel balls. The corn salad was plentiful and I think there were more sweet potatoes than usually come in the sandwich. According to the menu, the salad was supposed to be accompanied by your choice of pita. I chose wheat but no pita was in the bag. Although it would have been nice to have some bread to balance out all the vegetables, I didn't bother calling since it wasn't that important.

The salad was good, but it wasn't that big. It came in a square box with sides about the length of a plastic fork. But I did want something light and healthier so that worked. It wouldn't have been enough for a full meal if you're hungry, in my opinion. The taste of the salad was just as good as the Africa sandwich always is.

I also got a side order of salsa:

Good to know that this would satisfy the tomato cravings I periodically get

I love pico de gallo, so I didn't mind eating salsa without any accompaniments. (Some pita would have been great, but already went over that.) The salsa consisted of chopped tomatoes, red onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers. The zing of the jalapenos was definitely evident unlike some others where the peppers are more muted. Overall, it was a good salsa. If you're wondering about the size, this box was smaller than the salad box, but stuffed full of salsa.

I don't usually order drinks at Crisp but I decided it would be a good opportunity to try their iced tea:

Not sure what I was streaming in the background - Against the Wall?

The iced tea there was one of the main reasons I finally gave in and signed up for foursquare (to which I am now addicted), since they had a special where you got a free iced tea after a certain number of visits (I didn't hit the right number in time). I don't mind unsweetened iced tea and usually get it, but this white grape tea had very little flavor. It was basically tinted room temperature water. Maybe it would be better cold? I saw some people on yelp who said they had to stir their tea to make it taste better so I tried that but it did nothing. I don't think I would get the white grape tea again. Maybe I'll try the mint tea next time. People seem to like that one and mint has a stronger flavor than white grapes do.

I've always been a fan of Crisp and their delivery was quick (and mostly accurate). It's nice having healthy options so you're not drowning in greasy burgers and fries all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment