Saturday, September 3, 2011

Third Glory Dinner

We had such high hopes for our third dinner on the Glory... but were a bit disappointed. Maybe we picked the wrong things?

I started with the "old fashioned" chicken noodle soup:


It was fine. It was light and fairly healthy, but not that flavorful and not full of that much stuff. When I think about soup, there's the "Europa style" which is very watery and the "Hale and Hearty style" which is packed with good stuff. This was Europa style. I am not a fan of watery soup. We give this a 2.

A started with the American navy bean soup (prepared with bacon and vegetables):


This was probably the best thing we had all night. It was thick, rich and flavorful. A gives this a 3.5. I think I would agree.

I also got a salad with French dressing:


It was fine, your standard salad. I guess this gets a 2.5 because the quality was fine but it was just boring.

We got the same entree - oven roasted tom turkey with sage and onion stuffing, mashed yam and scallion hash, panko crusted green beans and homemade cranberry relish:

Turkey dinner from the front

Turkey dinner from the back

I should preface this by saying that Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorite holiday meals. I love stuffing, I love mashed potatoes, I love Thanksgiving dinner vegetables. I love everything about Thanksgiving dinner. I was so excited for this and knew instantly that this was what I was going to order. I guess maybe I had high expectations but I don't think that's the reason I ended up so disappointed.

First, the turkey. It was fine and moist (it was also in the gravy). I wasn't a big fan of the fat/skin around the edges but that was easy to remove. So that was OK.

Second, there was some pork roulade on top of the turkey. What was that about? That wasn't on the menu. I had no interest in it, so I gave it to A. He thought it was tasty, but wasn't expecting that to be there. What disappointed him more was the "cranberry relish." He was looking for, at the very least, a little dollop of cranberry sauce. But the "homemade cranberry relish" was basically a drizzle over the roulade. I barely even had any of it, since I gave A my roulade and didn't realize that was all the "cranberry relish" (that wasn't really a relish) there was. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

Third, the panko crusted green beans didn't taste like green beans. The green bean fries at TGI Fridays are so much better than these! These did not taste as light as panko crusted vegetables should and we could barely tell they were green beans without the description!

Fourth, the stuffing. So disappointing. I love stuffing so much, and can usually see the merits in all types of stuffing, whether it's stuffing that's mostly bread or stuffing full of carrots, onions and celery. I love them all! But this? This was boring and bland, and didn't have a good flavor or texture. I was so sad because I was really looking forward to stuffing.

Lastly, the yam and scallion hash. It was really just mashed sweet potatoes/yams. They were fine.

In the end, A gave this a 3. I think I would give it a 2-2.5 because it could just be so much better. I probably would have been happier with the chili rellenos or the Indian meal of the day.

For dessert, nothing was really appealing to me other than the apple pie, which I got with vanilla ice cream:


It was OK. A little doughy, not that much apple, and A thought it was a little too sweet. This gets a 2.5.

A got the tiramisu. A loves tiramisu.


However, A thought this tiramisu was just OK. It wasn't that heavy though despite all the cream/mascarpone cheese. He gives this a 3.

As I mentioned above, our favorite thing from the night was probably the navy bean soup. The rest just fell short for us. We hoped our last full day on the Glory would bring better food than this dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment