Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Winter Vegetable Soup

As luck would have it, my local Hale and Hearty was offering up the only Chef's Series soup that I missed in their 6 week run. Chef Bill Telepan's Winter Vegetable Soup is described as "From the kitchen of acclaimed Chef Bill Telepan comes this delightful vegetable soup made with a unique combination of winter root vegetables and tender cannellini beans. Finished with parmesan cheese, this soup will warm you on a chilly day." The part that really sold me, and also the one I hoped to be true, was the warming up on a chilly day thing. New York is chilly right now.

Chef Bill Telepan's Winter Vegetable Soup

I knew coming in that, no matter what, I had to be the one to try this since M is allergic to some of the ingredients. What I recognized were carrots, celery, onions, potato, parsnip, and cauliflower. There was a leafy green boiled down as well, but I couldn't tell if that was kale or spinach.The white beans added some body to the soup as well as some extra soft bite. The broth is a vegetable broth and flavored very well. Not too salty, but not bland at all. It's a shame M can't have this soup because I think it's a nice, hearty winter soup that she would enjoy.

Overall this is an excellent soup, and one that might shuffle up my Chef's Series final rankings. I really enjoyed trying the different offerings from these big name chefs from here in New York, and I hope Hale and Hearty can do something similar this year as well.

Final Rankings:

No comments:

Post a Comment