Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Joy Curry

I love getting Indian food for lunch. One place I tried recently is the new branch of Joy Curry and Tandoor on 39th Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues). I had ordered delivery a few times over the years from the Midtown East branch, but had never been in person to either location.

Joy Curry has several combos at lunch, including one with 2 vegetable dishes ($7.95) and one with 1 meat and 1 vegetable dish ($8.95).  All the combos come with basmati rice and naan. One thing to note is that if you get chicken tikka masala for your meat dish (as I did), the combo is more expensive at $9.50. I'm not really sure why chicken tikka masala costs more, but they did point it out before putting it in the dish, so at least they were upfront about it. If you see one of the guys on the streets handing out menu cards, there's a $1 off coupon on it, so with tax, it ended up less than $9.50.

Joy Curry lunch combo

I got the chicken tikka masala and the chana masala, two of my usual dishes, which allowed me to compare with other Indian lunch spots.  I thought these were both good, but I've had better at other places. Between the 2 dishes here, I liked the chicken tikka masala better.

Lots of chickpeas and chicken

One thing I like about Joy Curry and Tandoor is that, unlike Minar, they include both rice and naan in their combo price.  That makes them more similar to Indus Express, another place I like for Indian food lunches, although between the two, I would give Indus a slight edge over Joy.

Fresh naan

If you're in the 30s and looking for Indian food, I think Joy Curry is worth a try. I'm usually much closer to Minar, Indus Express and the excellent Mausam truck, so I'm not sure when I'll be back, but I feel lucky to have so many good Indian food options!

No comments:

Post a Comment