Monday, January 7, 2013

Street Meat Search

Ever since Omar left Little Morocco, the quality of food and service has dropped dramatically. The day he left also signified the day I needed to find a new street meat cart. It was sad since Omar really knew what he was doing, not just with the traditional chicken and lamb offerings, but also with different types of rice and accompaniments. I could ramble on about Omar and his amazing offerings for an entire post if I really wanted to, but in the end that would just serve to make me sad even though it has been months since he left.

Thus, my search for new street meat carts continued today with an old haunt. On 40th and 7th there used to be two brothers that ran a cart, and I patronized them fairly often. Then they disappeared for a while which actually opened the door for Little Morocco way back when. A new cart appeared there maybe a year or two ago with new owners. I've tried them once or twice in the past but never wrote about them. Today, I rectify that.

Chicken and Lamb Combo over Rice

This was a pretty good offering overall. I thought the basmati rice had a good bite to it, and flavor-wise I could get hints of cumin and turmeric as well as bit of star anise I think (I'm probably wrong on that last one). The chicken and lamb were okay, but they seemed a little bland in comparison to some other street meat carts I've had in the past. The sauces were nice. I like heat with my hot sauce, and while this wasn't the ultra hot stuff that you can get from some carts, there was a nice, flavorful burn to this. The white was pretty standard white sauce.

Will I go back to this cart? Probably, but I think my search for a new go to street meat cart will continue. Also, after reviewing to try and find links, I realized I never actually wrote about Omar and Little Morocco. That's very sad considering how much I wrote above, and I think I will have to fix that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment