Thursday, January 3, 2013

Aoki Sushi Lunch

I felt like I should choose something special for my first work lunch of the new year, but in the end, it was cold and I craved soup to warm me up (just like A).  Although I really wanted pho, I ended up placing a pick-up order at Aoki (I love the Seamless app!) for one of their lunch specials.  I had been to Aoki a couple of times for a sit-down lunch and think it is one of the better places in the area for an affordable sushi lunch, but this was my first time getting lunch to go.

Aoki has two sushi lunch specials - one with two rolls ($9) and one with three rolls ($11).  In addition to the rolls, you have a choice of miso soup or a garden salad.

Miso soup before stirring it up

I, of course, went for the soup since it was a < 20 degree wind chill day.  It was your basic miso soup with seaweed and small cubes of tofu, and was good for the cold weather.  I liked that they packaged the styrofoam soup cup inside a plastic bag since it did end up leaking a little bit on my walk back to the office.

The best part about Aoki's sushi lunch special is that they have a large selection of rolls to choose from, including rolls that many other sushi places exclude, like shrimp tempura or crunch rolls.  It's a much better value when you can choose more "special" rolls.  I got the salmon avocado and spicy salmon crunch rolls.

Salmon avocado roll, spicy salmon crunch roll, wasabi (not very hot and I used a *lot*) and ginger (that I don't eat)

I've gotten delivery and eaten at Aoki every so often over the past few years, but the sushi rolls today weren't as good as I remembered from the past.  The spicy salmon crunch roll was not very spicy at all, but both rolls did taste fresh.  It was a satisfactory lunch, but the rolls just weren't as exciting or delicious as I hoped they would be for my first lunch of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment