Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cajun Chicken and Sweet Italian Sausage

It was windy and chilly at lunch today - a delightful 6 degrees for a wind chill - which meant it was a perfect day for soup. (I know that's warm compared to the arctic midwest temps, but that's cold for NYC!)  I originally set out to get the curried chicken chowder (which A reviewed earlier today), but after trying the chicken and sweet Italian sausage soup, I changed my mind and decided to try something new instead.


The chicken and sweet Italian sausage soup was perfect for such a cold day. It felt like a soup that you would get at someone's family home, simple, hearty and flavorful.  In addition to the chicken and sausage, there was bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, onions, potatoes, rosemary and some other herbs.  It would be really healthy except there is also some butter in it.


I loved the spices and the flavors of the soup, all the vegetables, and also how tender the chicken was.  The only not so great thing was that some pieces of sausage were a little "tough" as if there were cartilage or casing included. Even with that though, it was a good soup, and I loved the flavor.

In addition to the soup, I got a half of one of my favorite sandwiches there - the cajun chicken sandwich.


This sandwich has spicy cajun chicken, monterey jack cheese, tomatoes, baby arugula and Creole mayonnaise on the usual ciabatta bread. I'm a big fan of this combo of ingredients and hope this sandwich never leaves the rotation!

It looks like the frigid weather is going to continue, so we'll see if tomorrow is another soup day!

No comments:

Post a Comment