Monday, January 28, 2013

Senegalese Chicken with Peanuts

It is yet another cold, wet day here, and that keeps my ideals of "need warm soup" alive. M has told me in the past about how much she likes the Senegalese Chicken with Peanuts from Hale and Hearty, but I never got around to trying it. There always seemed to be something else that caught my interest. After once more being told how great it was, I made myself promise that I would get it when it next was offered at my location. Hale and Hearty describes "This soup, which is served topped with crushed peanuts, is a spicy and complex African style tomato soup loaded with white meat chicken, peanuts and spices."

Senegalese Chicken Soup with Peanuts

I don't know what the difference is between African style tomato soup and non-African style tomato soup, but I appear to like both. This soup felt creamier than other tomato soups, but it's marked as dairy free so I can only assume that they have some magical non-dairy creaming substance. My guess would be coconut milk, but I'm probably wrong, and I didn't really taste any hint of coconut. This soup is full of onions, scallions, and bits of shredded chicken, but the star of the show is the tomato-based soup. It's rich and spicy, and it looks like some form of chili oil has been mixed in. The crushed peanuts added on top give the soup a very nice crunchy texture and a mild peanut flavor. There was an underlying sweetness from the tomatoes themselves, and it all made for a very enjoyable, very warming soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment