Monday, November 26, 2012

Spanish White Bean with Kale and Chorizo

A new work week, a new Hale and Hearty Chef's series soup for me to try. This week's offering comes from Chef Chris Bradley of Gramercy Tavern. Spanish white bean with kale and chorizo. It is described as "[...] fantastic soup which combines tender luscious beans, potatoes and gently simmered kale. Bolstered with fresh chorizo sausage and spicy smoked paprika, this soup is brimming with flavor."


Spanish White Bean with Kale and Chorizo

From the description I was expecting an explosion of flavors similar to the previous two Chef Series offerings. This soup is much more muted, though, in almost every way. The chorizo is meaty, but it doesn't have the salt or spice that I have come to expect from the sausage. The kale doesn't have much absorbed flavor either, but I could also be expecting a lot with a limited knowledge of how kale works. The white beans and potatoes add starch and heartiness to the soup, but overall they also don't have much in the way of flavor. Carrots add some color and a little more texture, but I got no hint of the smokey paprika. What I did note was a hint of citrus (lemon?) as a subtle undertone to the soup.

This is a perfectly satisfying soup that is rich and hearty, but it is my least favorite Chef Series soup so far. I expected big, bold flavors, and those just didn't come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment