Monday, November 12, 2012

Mexican Gumbo

At Qdoba, I usually get the Craft 2 (originally reviewed here) with some combination of tacos, quesadilla, the naked taco salad or the naked burrito.  Many of the entrees at Qdoba seem to be based on the same basic idea as Chipotle - you get rice, beans, meat, salsa and cheese in whatever combination you choose going down the line (salad, bowl, etc).  What I didn't realize in all my past visits was that they had a "Mexican gumbo" - which is pretty much the same as a naked burrito (burrito without a wrapper aka burrito bowl) but with soup added.  Now that's something I don't think Chipotle offers.

My gumbo

The Qdoba menu describes the Mexican gumbo as "a unique dish that combines tortilla soup, cilantro lime rice and black or pinto beans with salsa, cheese and corn tortilla strips in a mouth-watering gumbo." I usually associate gumbo with Louisiana and Cajun/Creole cuisine, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this Mexican gumbo.  But it's pretty much just a naked burrito in soup.  Which is a good thing.

Mixed up a little more so you can see something other than cheese

I tried this the first time in the Craft 2 so it was a smaller portion.  I got rice, black beans, chicken, pico de gallo, corn salsa and cheese (no tortilla strips or sour cream).  I really liked it because everything soaks up the tortilla soup.  The tortilla soup has a zesty flavor so it adds a little bit of kick to the dish, even if you hadn't added spicy salsa. Definitely my type of meal.  Tonight I got this for dinner in the full size and it was even better.  Not sure if I would call this gumbo, but it's a solid choice for Qdoba.

No comments:

Post a Comment