Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cranberry Almond Marzipan

The first custard we tried from the November batch was cranberry almond marzipan, a new flavor for us.


M's thoughts:
For some reason, the name of Friday's custard "cranberry almond marzipan" made me think of cranberry and nut granola bars. I found myself hoping that it would be custard with bits of dried cranberries and almonds mixed in.  I didn't give too much thought to the marzipan.  What we got was not what I had envisioned. It was a smooth custard with no mix-ins that tasted mildly like almond.  While the almond flavor was definitely present (due to either the almond or the marzipan part of the name), I didn't taste cranberry at all which was disappointing. Not a bad custard, but not one that I feel the need to get again.

A's thoughts:
I was a little confused by this flavor. Marzipan is an almond flavored jam. I wasn't sure if the name meant that there would be more almonds mixed into the custard or they were just making sure that people knew what marzipan was supposed to taste like. When I first tasted it, I definitely got a hit of almond. It was the most powerful flavor in the whole custard. However, I didn't get any hint of cranberry at all. Was this supposed to have dried cranberries mixed in or thrown on top and just forget? I don't know, this really just seemed like an almond custard. I like almonds and almond flavoring, but there was certainly something missing.

Cranberry Almond Marzipan
A's rating: 6/10
M's rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment