Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mac Truck

I wrote this post back in mid-October, pre-Sandy, when I went to the Mac Truck, but never got around to posting it.  Now I'm catching up on old posts while I can't eat because I'm recovering from periodontal surgery. I know the Mac Truck was out in Staten Island giving out free mac and cheese at Sandy relief efforts today (thank you!) but am not sure when they will be out next for the general public.  Getting enough fuel isn't easy for trucks these days, and I'm so glad that they are all out in disaster areas getting good food to people who desperately need it.

I love macaroni and cheese in all forms.  I love mac and cheese baked with breadcrumbs on top, cheesy, gooey and crunchy all at once.  I also love mac and cheese like I made it in law school, out of the blue box on the stove, mixed with peas and pearl onions.  Therefore, when I saw the Mac Truck, it was no surprise that I decided to go for some mac and cheese.  


I love the design of the truck

The Mac Truck has regular mac and cheese, fried mac bites, and a daily special, which was buffalo chicken on the day I visited the truck.  There is also an entire list of free condiments that can be mixed in, anything from sriracha to sambal to franks to pickled onions.  I wasn't sure what to order for my first try so I went with the buffalo chicken special.

So many free condiments!

Although the cup of mac and cheese isn't that big (and if it were a soup, it would definitely not be enough for lunch), it made for quite a filling lunch.  In the buffalo chicken special, the mac and cheese was topped with ground chicken in a tangy buffalo sauce, to which I added grated parmesan (not a big fan of bleu cheese) and pickled onions (vegetables are good!).


The mac and cheese was good.  It was tangy from the buffalo sauce and sour from the pickled onions, and the chicken reminded me of the texture of meat in chili, which was good.  The macaroni itself had a good somewhat al dente texture, and I liked it.  I did feel like, even though it was a small cup, it was a decently heavy lunch.

Although I like mac and cheese and I thought the Mac Truck was good, I can't say that I can see myself going here very regularly (not that I go anywhere regularly but that's a different point).  I usually gravitate towards dishes with vegetables for lunch and feel really out of balance if my lunch is all carbs and/or protein (not that I don't do it but I don't do it often).  Maybe I would go more if the condiments had more vegetables (like peas) or I guess I could get the combo if it includes the apple slices. I definitely plan to go back at some point for more mac and cheese though - especially in the winter when we need comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment