Sunday, November 4, 2012

Jing's Bean Curd

Jing is a Chinese-Japanese restaurant on 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen.  We have never dined at the restaurant but have gotten delivery and takeout a number of times.  The last time A was away on business I dropped by Jing to pick up an order to go and decided to go vegetarian with a dish called Jing's Bean Curd.  It was described on the menu as bean curd with spicy salsa and oyster sauce with tomato, onion and collard greens.


Even though Jing had a mapo tofu dish on the menu, I thought this would be similar in style.  Soft white cubes of tofu with a different sauce from mapo tofu on a bed of greens.  What I got was quite different from mapo tofu and what I had envisioned, but was very tasty.


The dish consisted of slices of fried bean curd in a tangy sauce that had spices, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and collard greens. I had expected giant collard green pieces like in Southern cuisine but instead they were more like a garnish.  The flavor of the sauce was good (not that spicy though) and not typical for Chinese dishes that I've had before.  It was nice to have a tofu dish with lots of flavor.

I liked this bean curd dish. I probably would go for mapo tofu more often since that tofu is not fried and the sauce is usually spicier, but I do think this dish is worth a try.  I've been attempting to eat healthier and eat less meat, and this dish definitely helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment