Thursday, November 15, 2012

Getting Thanks

Certe's sandwich-of-the-month for November is called "Getting Thanks."  Their November sandwich every year seems to be Thanksgiving-themed but this is the first year I've been able to try it.


The Getting Thanks sandwich consists of turkey meatloaf, string bean casserole, fresh sage, turkey cracklings and cranberry ketchup on an onion brioche roll with a side of giblet gravy for dipping.  It was a pretty decent size for a sandwich with a thick slice of meatloaf between the bread.


The meatloaf is definitely the main ingredient in the sandwich with the string bean casserole acting more like a spread along the bottom bun, similar to the cranberry ketchup on the top bun.  I didn't really notice the sage.


The turkey meatloaf was juicy and flavorful, and I would eat this again in a sandwich or in a platter on its own.  I really enjoyed the cranberry ketchup (would have definitely improved that Panera sandwich).  The string bean casserole wasn't very substantial but added some creaminess (and the vegetable food group) to the sandwich.  The gravy was nice and thick, and had a rich turkey flavor.  It all worked really well together for me except for one thing - the turkey cracklings.


I know cracklings are fried skin and fat, but some pieces were just pure fat (and not as much fried stuff).  The ones that were more like fried skin weren't so bad, but pieces like the one above - just one giant piece of fat - don't texturally agree with me.  I tried as much as I could but I found they just interfered with my enjoyment of the sandwich, so the really fatty pieces had to go.  Without them (and the one above was really the worst offender, or to some people, the best piece) the sandwich was a delicious treat, especially for someone like me that loves meatloaf.

As with all the other Certe sandwiches, this one came with a side of slaw (red cabbage and carrots with raisins) and a pickle.


I did like this sandwich (sans cracklings) and would consider getting it again if there weren't so many Thanksgiving-style sandwiches on my to-try list for the season.  I definitely recommend the special sandwiches of the month at Certe as they are unique and high quality (like the Uncle Sammie I previously wrote about).  You may want to try this sandwich before you get sick of turkey at Thanksgiving which means you still have a few more days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment