Monday, December 17, 2012

Kabocha Squash Soup

I missed last week's Hale and Hearty chef series soup because of work and travel, but I was determined not to miss it this week. On Friday I got to try Chef Michael Anthony's Kabocha Squash Soup. It is described as "From the reigning James Beard Chef of the Year award winner, Michael Anthony, comes this fantastic fall favorite. We slowly simmer Kabocha and Butternut squash with a wonderful combination of spices, then add shiitake mushrooms, the Italian grain emmer, and dried cranberries. So smooth and satisfying you'll want autumn to last forever."

Kabocha Squash Soup

I really wasn't sure what to expect to be honest. When I think of the ingredients on hand (kabocha, butternut squash, and dried cranberries) I'm envisioning something sweet. The shiitake mushrooms I couldn't figure out how they would pair as they have a distinct and non-sweet flavor. The emmer I figured to be texture and heartiness.

After tasting the soup, I was even more confused. It certainly had a sweet undertone to its velvety smooth texture, but it was also oddly savory. There is no meat listed in the description, but it does taste like there was something added. A lot of that could be from the shiitake mushrooms which actually add a nice chewiness to the soup. The emmer adds a nice bite as well, but in the end I'm still left confused by the savory and sweet soup. It's not bad at all, it's just... confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment