Saturday, December 22, 2012

Jelly Donut

The custard we were looking forward to most this month was jelly donut.  We're big fans of the Jelly's Last Donut concrete at Shake Shack, and we were hoping that this custard would follow in its footsteps as one of our favorite items.  Turns out that this is the first new custard in awhile we've really liked.


M's thoughts:
After a really frustrating experience at Shake Shack (standing on the C line behind one person was a longer wait than if I had gotten on the regular line, as 10-12 people (many of whom got there after me) went through that line before I took one step forward; holiday tourist crowds and lots of noise; people pushing me over since they thought the C line was an exit; some girl almost running me over in a mad dash to get to her burgers first - sometimes our area at the holidays is just madness), all I could think was: this jelly donut custard had better be worth it.  It was.  There was jelly and little bits of doughnut mixed in with a vanilla custard and it was great.  I think we will get this again next week if we can, because it was quite enjoyable.  I think, between the 2, the Jelly's Last Donut concrete is a little better, as it spins in more ingredients, but they are both good.

A's thoughts:
At first I didn't get why they brought in this flavor since the Theater District location of Shake Shack already has the Jelly's Last Donut concrete that M and I both love. Then it dawned on me. Only the Theater District location has that concrete so patrons of the other locations could potentially have never tasted the beauty which is Doughnut Plant donuts spun with jelly into custard. I really did like this custard since I love the Jelly's Last Donut, but this is different since the pieces of donut are a little larger since they aren't broken up by the concrete mixing blade. However, this is still a great flavor, and I'm glad that other Shake Shack locations finally got something comparable. I just hope this doesn't make our location that much more crowded with people trying to get the concrete now!

Jelly Donut
A's rating: 9/10
M's rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment