Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Pret Old Sandwich

The new Pret by my office (on 45th Street) opened today (and it just happened to be the next stop on my block by block challenge). I love the design of the new place, so good job Pret! It's only 2 blocks from the next Pret but it was fairly busy when I went for my late lunch. I decided it would be a good day to get the holiday sandwich before the seasonal items were off the shelves.

The Pret holiday sandwich is probably my favorite thing there and I look forward to its return every year. This year, the recipe was a little different. Instead of sausage stuffing, crispy onions and oranges, there was veggie stuffing and apples. I could definitely taste the difference. And as much as I loved the sausage stuffing and onions, I think the changes made the sandwich even better. That's high praise coming from someone who doesn't love fruit mixed in with savory food.


The contents of the holiday sandwich this year are roasted turkey, veggie stuffing, cranberry sauce, walnuts, apple, mesclun, mayo, Pret's seasoning and Pret's granary. It was really delicious. I hadn't read the ingredients closely before I ate the sandwich and only knew that the stuffing would be different, so when I took a bite and felt the crunch and juiciness of the apple, I was surprised. But I loved the combination of the apple with the cranberry sauce and the stuffing. It worked together really well and made the sandwich more refreshing than it had been in past years. This was the first "holiday sandwich" I ever really had and I think it's still the best. Even better - with every purchase, a donation is made to City Harvest. Good sandwich for a good cause!

On the side I also got a love bite. It's a soft and chewy fruit and nut mini-bar which makes a perfect sweet snack.


Welcome to the new Pret!

No comments:

Post a Comment