Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chicken and Sausage Seafood Paella

So yesterday I had every intention of going to Hale and Hearty to get Daniel Boulud's Chef Series soup offering as I admittedly didn't have all of my full tasting faculties the first time I tried it. However, I called an audible after seeing the Chicken and Sausage Seafood Paella on the menu. I'd been thinking about paella for a bit ever since M and I looked at the pics of our paellas from our Barcelona trip. Unfortunately, since I didn't write this yesterday I don't have their website description to add here as I usually do. I think it said something about chicken, chorizo, and "Spanish spices".


Now, I don't know what "Spanish spices" are, but I have had paella before in Barcelona so I at least know what that should taste like. This soup is full of chicken, chorizo pieces, onions, peas, rice, shrimp, and mussels. It's an incredibly flavorful and tasty soup, but it's not a paella. It does not taste at all like any paella I have ever eaten before. What it does taste like is gumbo. It's a tasty gumbo, but it's still a gumbo.

Overall, I like this soup. I would get it again for sure. The shrimp and mussels are really great in the soup, and the chorizo adds a nice saltiness and spice to the soup. It's still not a paella, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment