Thursday, March 5, 2015

Sauteed Preserved Pork with Dried Turnips

I feel like I've started being recognized at Hunan Manor since the same lady gives me my takeout each time, and I'm pretty sure today before I even said my name, she was nodding and bringing out my receipt to sign. Anyway, today I opted to try their sauteed preserved pork with dried turnips dish.


So when I first opened this dish, I thought the smaller, thinner pieces were the pork. I don't know why, but I did. I was incredibly wrong. Those smaller, thinner pieces were actually the dried turnips. Those larger, darker blocks? Those are the preserved pork. Also as with many of the dishes I've tried from here, the dish is full of garlic, ginger, and green and red chilis, but this one is also loaded with leeks. They added a really nice flavor to the dish.

The turnips had some bite and a bit of bitterness to them, but that was balanced out with the saltiness of the preserved pork. Due to the fattiness I'm guessing that it's pork belly, but it's not listed so I'm not 100% sure. My only gripe is that the pork itself is tough to chew. I could eventually get through each piece, but it was a struggle with some of the pieces.

Overall this was a good dish. I don't know that I would get it again, but I'm really happy that I tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment