Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pizza Al Pollo Asado

Considering that the pizza al pollo asado is one of my most regularly purchased products at Trader Joe's over the past couple of years, it's a bit surprising that I've still never posted about it. It's a great lunch for only $2.29 (I remember when it was under $2, but it's still a good price now) and it's one of the simplest lunches to make - take it out of the package, put it on a plate, and pop it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.


This pizza isn't your "typical" pizza, mostly because it has a corn masa base for the pizza. On top of the masa, you can find refried pinto beans, chicken, monterey jack cheese, tomatillo salsa (although I never knew this was there until I read the ingredients), roasted green chiles, fresh jalapeño chiles, and cilantro (only a hint of that here and there, so not really a big thing if you're a cilantro-averse person (which I am not)).


Made in the microwave, this isn't really the type of pizza that you can just pick up and eat like a slice. The outer edges of the pizza can sometimes be sturdy and crusty, but the middle is usually still pretty soft. I like the middle like that though, because the cheese is super melty and combines really well with the creamy beans and soft masa. Texturally in the middle part it feels a little more like a soft tamale to me, but I personally love that. The chicken has really good seasoning and for the most part is good quality (every so often there's a little bit of skin or cartilage that seems to come through, but it's mostly okay). Together, all the flavors work really well.


Buy Again? Huge yes. As I mentioned from the start, this is one of the things I purchase most regularly on my Trader Joe's visits. A filling and tasty lunch for a little over $2? Hard to beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment