Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Curried Cream of Cauliflower and Apple

Hale and Hearty brought out their latest Chef's Series soup, and it's from acclaimed chef Daniel Boulud. His Curried Cream of Cauliflower and Apple is described as "From Master Chef Danielle[sic] Boulud comes this simply sublime curried cauliflower and apple soup. Delicately seasoned with curry and saffron each ingredient shines in this superb velvety soup."


I'm going to have to preface this review by saying that I'm still sick so my taste buds are muted. I probably shouldn't have tried it in my current condition, but I did. That being said, I still got a lot of flavor out of this soup, and I think I owe it to chef to go back when I'm feeling better to try and get all of the nuances he simmered into his soup.

The first thing I noted when I opened my cup of soup was a heavy hit of curry and also the sweetness of cream. My first sip had the same notes. I got a huge hit of spiced curry flavor with a smoother, sweeter finish from the cream. The soup is incredibly rich, and it's so full of flavor. The soup is thickened by the blended cauliflower, and I got late after notes of the cauliflower as I dug further into the soup. I got very mild hints of apple every so often, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm having issues tasting everything.

Overall this is a very rich, flavorful soup. I think this is the type of soup that I'd try to avoid due to the cream, but I know I'm going to get it again as soon as I'm healthy so that I can try and catch all of the subtleties built into the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment