Wednesday, February 4, 2015

April Bloomfield's Ribollita

I like that Hale and Hearty has extended the availability for each Chef's Series soup to multiple weeks as opposed to just one. I used to feel like I had to plan out my work schedule to make sure I'd be around to get one each week before, but now I have a couple weeks with which to work around. The only downside is that I then have to wait a couple weeks for the new soup to be released.

The second offering for the Hale and Hearty Chef's Series soups is a Ribollita prepared by Chef April Bloomfield. It is described as "From Michelin star winning Chef April Bloomfield comes this marvelous version of Ribollita, originally a peasant dish from the Tuscan region of Italy. This robust vegetarian soup is brimming with Cannellini beans, herbs, and tomato and thickened in the traditional way with day old bread."


I loved this soup. It still won't take over the number 1 spot from Chef David Burke's Crazy Corn soup, but this is a fantastic soup. It's a tomato based broth full of classic mirepoix, some leafy green (vegetable? herb?), and Cannellini beans.Though it was described to have been thickened with day old bread, I didn't notice any chunks of bread like I did with Chef Mario Batali's Pappa al Pomodoro soup.

Overall this is an extremely warm and comforting rustic soup. It tastes extremely fresh and light from the vegetables, but it's also quite hearty because of the beans and bread. The herbs and seasonings balance out all of the flavors. It transports you to a cottage in the middle of a Tuscan countryside, and you can almost feel and hear the crackling fire that the pot of soup was placed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment