Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Happy National Clam Chowder Day!

I found out yesterday that today was National Clam Chowder Day. I'm a huge fan of clam chowder in all of its varieties, and New England Clam Chowder is my favorite. So, to continue in my trend of getting cream-filled soups I should be avoiding due to illness I went to Hale and Hearty once more for their New England Clam Chowder. It's described as: "Our version of this classic New England style chowder. It is thick and creamy, and loaded with diced potatoes and minced clams. Contains pancetta."


This soup is loaded with clams, potatoes, celery, and spices. It was rich and creamy and would be really soothing if not for all of my congestion issues. I didn't see any bits of pancetta in the soup itself, but I could certainly taste the saltiness and rich fatty flavor. I also opted to get the sourdough instead of the 7-grain bread I always go with. I think that was the right decision because the mild sourness of the sourdough was a great fit for the salty clam chowder. The crusty, crisp exterior was also great paired with the soft interior.

Overall, while this isn't the best clam chowder I've ever had (that was in Sitka, AK), this was a great option to have. Hale and Hearty is also a lot easier for me to get to, and I'm definitely going to get this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment