Friday, February 13, 2015

Week 7 - Chocolate

I was at the library last week returning an overdue book, and like I always do, I scanned the shelves of the new cookbooks section. I was intrigued by a book called Superfoods for Life: Cacao by Matt Ruscigno, as it had so many savory (and vegan!) recipes that used chocolate or cocoa powder, including recipes I've always wanted to make like mole. I was flipping through it when it hit me - the theme for the week after (so, this week) was chocolate! What perfect timing to find a book like that.

Instead of making just one dish from the cookbook, I decided to make 3 (over the course of 2 dinners), so those dishes will follow in separate posts. It was a really interesting experiment and lots of fun to try out new chocolate-filled recipes. In honor of chocolate week, we also finally broke open the new(ish) Fireworks chocolate bar ($1.99) from Trader Joe's, so we might as well start our chocolate week posts with that. Also, it seems like a good week to look through our massive drafts archive for any other posts dealing with chocolate to get those put up and keep the chocolate theme going.


The Fireworks bar looks like a regular dark chocolate bar when you open the package, but it is anything but once you try it. It's got lots of chili pepper and cayenne pepper inside, and on top of that it also has popping candy in it. So you get spice from the pepper, but you also get what really feels like little fireworks going off inside your brain. It was such an odd sensation. I think A liked this bar more than I did, but it was certainly an interesting experiment and such a strange feeling.

Buy Again? Maybe. For me, not my favorite chocolate bar, but kind of fun once in a while. For A, he'd get it again, but he prefers more traditional dark chocolate.

Coming up in the chocolate week challenge posts: cocoa jerk tofu, chocolate green beans, and chocolate vegetable tarts! It's been a very chocolaty week!

No comments:

Post a Comment