Thursday, February 23, 2012

Goodbye Goodburger

Less than 2 weeks ago, I went to lunch at goodburger to continue the block by block challenge. Goodburger isn't actually the next establishment after Cafe Manhattan; the next place is Chipotle but I had just gotten dinner from Chipotle the night before and have been to that Chipotle numerous times so I decided to invoke one of my rules and just skipped it.

Yesterday I passed by that branch of goodburger and it was closed. I asked Midtown Lunch about it and they found out that it was closed for good due to a rent increase and decrease in customers. But since (a) it was there when I went, (b) I went as part of the block by block challenge and (c) there are still other branches that exist, I'm going to write about it anyway. (A previously wrote about his burger experience at a different goodburger here.)


I got a turkey burger (my usual) and a side of fries. I guess I was hungry. Or maybe I wanted to branch out for block by block and get something new. They had regular fries on the menu but supposedly also had sweet potato fries. I got the regular ones. (That reminds me -- there was a foursquare special for free sweet potato fries on your 3rd visit which I would have unlocked on my next visit but now it's gone!)


The fries were not very exciting. In fact, they were kind of boring. They reminded me of my intention to avoid unnecessary sabotage fries and how this fry order was a fail by that standard.

I have gotten the turkey burger before (as I said, my usual) and in the past, thought it was pretty good. The burger itself is a combination of turkey, tri-color bell peppers, red onions, parsley and olive oil. If you get it with "the works," it also comes with lettuce, tomato (although I don't remember there being any tomato this time), red onions, pickles, ketchup, mayo, and mustard. (All the toppings in "the works" are free.)


Unlike previous visits, this turkey burger was dry and not very flavorful. Did not live up to my expectations, which were not unreasonably high but based on past burgers.

This visit to goodburger was disappointing in quality, so I guess I'm not really upset that the branch is gone. Also, the turkey burger plus fries cost $11, which is more than I like to spend for lunch. I'm mostly sad that this burger used to be better and I know it can be better than it was this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment