Thursday, February 9, 2012

World Cafe

We arrived at our resort, Dreams Cancun, late in the afternoon. We were really hungry so we ventured over to the World Cafe, the buffet where they were serving lunch until 5 or so. There were a few different places serving lunch but we figured a buffet would be quickest and unlike the other restaurants, we already knew where it was (passed it on the way to our room).


I was a little wary of the food and drink at lunch since it was my first really "adventurous" meal after the food poisoning incident (the half sandwich and soup I had for breakfast at the airport was relatively tame) and I wasn't sure how my stomach would react to the fruits and vegetables in Mexico. I was even worried about the ice cubes in my iced tea. (I hadn't yet read the resort guide which talked about food safety and how all the water in the resort was purified).

For my first plate, I got an assortment of cooked food, figuring that was safest.


Generally, the food was just okay, but a little too much butter and salt in some dishes. Here's what I got on the first plate:
- fried citrus squid ring (fine but nothing special, reminded me that I don't really love plain fried food)
- sweet and sour pork (pretty good)
- slice of pizza with yellow bell pepper topping (fine but nothing special)
- orange fish (probably the best cooked item on the plate but a little too much butter and salt)
- mahi mahi in lemon sauce (very heavy butter flavor and salty)
- sauteed mushrooms (again, buttery)
- chicken and peppers from kids section (like a fajita, not that salty and pretty good; generally the kids section seemed to be lower in salt)

I got raw vegetables on my second plate, branching out a little as my stomach got more comfortable with the food.


On the second plate I got:
- ensalada mixta (contained tomato, jicama, onion - nice and light)
- corn, peas, grilled chicken (from the make your own salad section)
- chopped salad from kids section (also nice and light)
- chicken in tomato sauce (the piece I tried earlier from A's plate was good but mine was almost inedibly salty)
- chicken in demiglace sauce (buttery, salty, like the other dishes)
- more orange fish and mahi mahi since I figured it would be good to eat more fish at a seaside resort and I hoped it would less buttery and salty the second time (nope)

We didn't take photos of A's plates but we tried a lot of the same things. Overall our conclusion was that the meal was fine, especially since we were hungry, but too much butter and salt for our liking. We hoped that the other meals (both at the buffet and the other restaurants) would be less buttery and less salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment