Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Desi Food Truck

Yesterday for lunch I visited the Desi Food Truck for the first time. I've passed by it many times and thought about getting some kati rolls, but never actually tried it.


The truck, in addition to kati rolls, has vegetable and chicken dishes (like chicken tikka masala), biryani, and puri bhajji. As I looked over the menu, the guy told me that they had just made the biryani. I was already leaning toward that, so it was an easy choice. While I was waiting for the biryani, he gave me a sample of their haleem, which I had heard about online and sounded really good.


Haleem, according to the sign on the truck, is "a slow-cooked, thick, hearty soup made of lentils, wheat, barley, meat and spices." (In this case, it was made with chicken.) The soup is usually also garnished with ginger, fried onions, lemon juice and coriander leaves. (The only one I know for sure was in there was the ginger.) I loved this soup. It's perfect for the winter - full of complex flavors and like a spiced comfort food. I'm not even a fan of ginger but I liked it here.

The chicken biryani also had a giant potato and was accompanied by a salad of lettuce topped with a green dressing. I'm not sure what is in the dressing but it was tasty. So was the biryani, which I would order again.

An atoll in Belize in the background... looks so nice

My favorite part of the biryani was the basmati rice with the chicken that was tender and shredded. There were also some larger pieces of chicken, but some of these had cartilage and skin, and big pieces don't soak up flavor as well as the broken-up pieces. Tough call on whether I like the biryani better here or at Trini Paki Boys (although I like the latter's toppings on the biryani much better). Maybe I need to have a personal biryani taste-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment