Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cafe Manhattan

The next stop on my block by block adventure was Cafe Manhattan. This is one of those "generic deli" types which has sandwiches, salads, soups, Asian noodle soup, pizza, hot/cold bars, etc. I visited these types of places a lot when I first started working in midtown so I don't go as often anymore.

I had no idea what I wanted. I walked around all the stations and the hot/cold bar. I didn't particularly want to get the hot/cold buffet because that's what I always used to get there. It was a little late for lunch so some of the options were gone, but I eventually ended up at the hot entree section and opted for the chicken gyro. I knew it wouldn't be as good as anything we got in Greece (especially not The Little Wishing Well!) but I hoped it would be good.


The chicken gyro (also available in lamb) was served with waffle fries for $6.95. The gyro consisted of grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, red onion and tzatziki in a pita.


I did like the gyro. The grilled chicken was nicely flavored, the tzatziki had a good touch of garlic, and the lettuce, tomato and onion added a refreshing crunch inside the doughy pita. I would get this again if I found myself back here.

As I waited for the gyro to be cooked on the grill, I did pick up two things from the hot/cold buffet.


The tofu triangle, stuffed with peppers, scallions, onions and sesame seeds, is found at a lot of hot/cold buffets and is always one of my favorite items. I haven't had it in awhile and also hadn't had tofu in some time, so I picked up a piece. I was also really in the mood for some chewy pasta, after spending too much time reading this thread on favorite pasta shapes last night, so I got a few pieces of pasta. It was a nice refreshing add-on to the gyro.

At a "generic deli" what station would be your go-to place?

No comments:

Post a Comment