Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Pure and Fresh Start

The first thing we ate in 2012 (yes, it's a week later, but better late than never) was the steamed fresh roll from Pure Thai Cookhouse. (Apparently Pure Thai Shophouse (one of our previous visits here) had to change their name to Cookhouse but we didn't even know that until a few days later. Chipotle's new Asian concept (which came out after them) is the reason but unclear whether it was forced or just requested, so no judgment on Chipotle from us (yet).) We were looking for something healthy and tasty, and this was perfect.


The steamed fresh roll consisted of pork sausage, cucumber, smoked tofu, and bean sprouts in a rice wrapper, steamed and topped with bits of crab meat. On the side were some peppers and scallions. The roll was drizzled and soaked in a tamarind reduction.


It was really, really good. It reminded me of something I had before but I still can't place it in my memory. The scallions and cucumber were a bit like eating Peking duck, since I eat the buns without the duck, but I don't think that's the memory I was looking for. Maybe someday I'll place it.

The roll was a good combination of flavors and textures, with the dense sausage contrasting well with the light and crunchy bean sprouts and cucumber. The crab was sweet and flavorful. Despite there not being much crab in the roll, you could definitely taste it. The sauce also added a nice sweetness, while the other ingredients brought the savory flavors. We really enjoyed it and would definitely get it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment