Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Tale of Two Lunches

Last week we had a training session over lunch. The place that catered the lunch had done some of our other lunches before, and I thought their sandwiches were usually better than some of the other places. Perhaps they were having a bad day or perhaps they just gave us a crappy selection of sandwiches this time, but lunch was not very good at all. (I was thankful for the kosher potato salad.)


I had a half chicken wrap (which wasn't bad but just kind of boring), and a half turkey avocado sandwich. On the turkey avocado, the white bread was dry and almost inedible, the sandwich was covered in mayo (which was too much mushiness when combined with the avocado), and it turned out to have bacon which wasn't apparent from the first look I took. All of the salads also had broccoli which meant I couldn't eat them. What happened to the really good sandwiches from last time? Again, thank goodness for potato salad.

But it makes me wonder why we can't have lunches like today's all the time. For our group lunches, we make a special effort not to get sandwiches. It's probably a little more expensive, but it's so much happier. A disappointing lunch (even if free) doesn't really do much to make someone happy, but a tasty break in the middle of the day could really boost morale! I think today's lunch was the Middle Eastern menu from Food Trends. I've had the Greek buffet before (it was good), but this was my first time trying this one and I was excited.


I got some falafel (it's not Taim but it wasn't bad), small dollops of hummus and tzatziki, and heaping piles of Israeli chopped salad and chicken shawarma. I may have gotten seconds (and a snack for later) consisting of shawarma and chopped salad. I really loved all the spices in the shawarma and the refreshing crispness of the salad.


I was much, much happier with today's lunch. Let's hope future lunches have more tasty food!

No comments:

Post a Comment