Friday, January 20, 2012

Red Velvet Custard

The Friday custard this month at Shake Shack is the red velvet custard. It's a vanilla custard with actual red velvet cake mixed in.


M's thoughts:
I'm a fan of red velvet - cakes, cupcakes, etc - so I was excited to get the red velvet custard. I think the red velvet custard was one of the first we ever had down at the Madison Square Park location. I remember big chunks of red velvet cake and being pleasantly surprised that the custard had actual cake mixed in. That remains my favorite part of this custard - the cake. When you get sections with not much cake or where the cake has broken up a lot, there isn't much flavor and it's very plain. But if you get a section where there are bites of actual cake, it has a nice cake flavor. That said, nothing about the cake flavor would make me think red velvet specifically in a blind taste test - just cake. But, considering cake batter ice cream is my favorite Coldstone flavor, I clearly like cake flavors.

A's thoughts:
I wanted to like this a lot, but I just couldn't. When I think red velvet cake I think red-colored cake and cream cheese frosting. This custard was vanilla custard with some crumbled red-colored cake mixed in. It made for a decent enough custard, but there was just no cream cheese frosting flavor. That's really what I look forward to the most with red velvet cakes so it was really disappointing. If it was just vanilla with red cake then sure, it's good. But it really fell short of red velvet.

Red Velvet
A's rating: 6/10
M's rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment