Sunday, January 15, 2012

My First Steak 'n Shake

Opening day for the new Steak 'n Shake Signature in Manhattan was my very first time having Steak 'n Shake. Even though I spent a few years in Chicago, they don't have any locations in the city and we didn't take any special trips to the suburbs just to get steakburgers. Seeing A's excitement about the arrival of steakburgers, I was excited to finally try it.

I have always loved the logo design

Me having my very first steakburger

Since it was my first time at Steak 'n Shake, I didn't get any of the specialty combinations and stuck with the original double cheese 'n fries. For $3.99 (so cheap by NYC standards!), you get a double cheeseburger and fries. My cheeseburger consisted of two steak patties with American cheese, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, onions, ketchup and mustard (i.e., everything but mayo).


I thought the burger was good. I didn't know what to expect except that it was a thinner burger, which is how I like it. Since we just had shackburgers the day before, it was hard not to compare to Shake Shack. I think I still like Shake Shack better, but the Steak 'n Shake burger was pretty good. The first few bites didn't wow me but I think it was a little too much bread at the start, which didn't allow the flavors of the burger to shine through. Once I got to the middle and it was really just burger, cheese, onion and mustard, I thought it was a pretty good burger.

The burger came with a small container of fries. (I am still amazed by how much food you get for just $4! Best deal ever! Well, maybe not ever, but it's a good deal.)


The fries were skinny and very lightly salted. They were fine but clearly come in second to the burger. I liked that the portion of fries was smaller so I didn't have to eat too many.

I was happy with my first visit to Steak 'n Shake and can't wait to go back. It's an affordable tasty meal and they have a whole bunch of different burgers to try. The guacamole and the mushroom ones sound really, really good, and they also have chili steak franks that look interesting. I think it's safe to say we'll go back again. Welcome to NYC Steak 'n Shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment