Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sesame Noodles

I have a thing for Chinese sesame noodles. They remind me of when my grandparents would visit from Taiwan when I was younger. Now, I've never ever found any restaurant that could make the dish as well as either my grandmother or mother can, but that's the beauty of home cooking.

One thing I never did learn was what went into the sauce for the noodles themselves. What I gathered through taste is that some combination of sesame/peanut paste, soy sauce, chili peppers, and vinegar. I'm sure there is more to it, but I foolishly never bothered to ask.

Here in NYC, I've only tried a few sesame noodles, but my favorite so far is from Mee Noodle Shop in Hell's Kitchen. They make it the closest to what I grew up eating, but as mentioned, it's nowhere near as good as what I remember.

Sesame Noodle in the delivery box

Sesame Noodle All Mixed Up


Really what draws me to this dish is the intense sesame/peanut flavor that comes out mixed with the mild saltiness from the soy sauce. It's disappointing to me that there isn't as much flavor from Mee, but until I find something better, they curb my cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment