Sunday, March 6, 2011

Arepas

I love arepas. I tried my first real arepa about nine years ago over spring break in Miami. It was so good. So good that later, in law school, I bought the Goya masarepa flour and tried to make my own. Here in NYC, we love Caracas for arepas, but they are always so crowded!

What are arepas? For those not familiar, arepas are cornmeal patties, sometimes with cheese, that are common in Colombia and Venezuela. Every one that I've had seems to be a little bit different.


This arepa is from a restaurant that opened up in our neighborhood last year (I think, in the fall) - Farmers Rotisserie. The menus call it Farmers Rotisseria a la Brasa. It's a Colombian place with fabulous rotisserie chicken and all around good food. Last time we went there, we got rotisserie chicken and tried empanadas for appetizers. This time, I suggested we go for the arepa con queso.


It was so good. The cheese was a nice addition and the corn patty was crispy. We would definitely get this again (and wanted a second as soon as we finished the first!). We recommend a visit to Farmers generally for solid good flavorful food, and if you're there, we recommend trying the arepa!

No comments:

Post a Comment