Friday, April 6, 2012

Cosi Sampler

I'm not usually a fan of our catered sandwich and salad lunches at work, but this week we had one that was different - catering from Cosi! I don't go to Cosi that often (finding it sometimes light on toppings/fillings for the price), so I was interested in trying some new options for "free."

They had a box of flatbread pieces and a giant bowl of salad, which I identified from the online menu as the Bombay chicken salad. I think I got this on one of my previous Cosi visits but had found that the salad that time was mostly lettuce which was disappointing.


The Bombay chicken salad consists of greens, red peppers (but I don't remember seeing those), tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and Tandoori chicken. They gave us two dressing options - a peppercorn ranch dressing and a sweet vinaigrette that reminded me of a chutney. The good thing about getting a catered salad is that it's one giant bowl of salad and you can choose how much of each item you want to take. This meant I didn't end up with a salad of mostly lettuce. It's the same chicken as the Tandoori chicken sandwich we got at Cosi last weekend, but I thought the chicken worked better here with the greens and other vegetables. With a balanced amount of each ingredient that I chose, this salad was pretty good and fairly healthy (since I got the non-ranch dressing).

The catering package also included boxes with an assortment of sandwiches. Unfortunately the sandwiches weren't labeled so I guessed and picked two halves, which ended up being the Chicken T.B.M. and the Tuscan Pesto Chicken, both of which were new to me.

Tuscan Pesto Chicken on top, Chicken T.B.M. on the bottom

The Chicken T.B.M. is a flatbread with grilled chicken, tomato, basil, mozzarella and vinaigrette. I thought initially from the look of it that what I got was the Chicken T.B.M. but my first bite tasted so much like honey mustard that I thought I was wrong. It was interesting having the mustard flavor in one half and the caprese flavors on the other half based on how the sandwich was arranged. The Tuscan Pesto Chicken has pesto chicken (obviously), shredded romaine and a sundried tomato spread. I saw the pesto when choosing and guessed that it was the pesto chicken sandwich, but the sundried tomato spread was a surprise, which (just like the T.B.M.) had me thinking I guessed wrong on the identity of the sandwich. The tomato spread took this from being an ordinary pesto chicken sandwich to something unique and different. Between the 2, I liked the Tuscan Pesto Chicken more. Usually I'm wary of sandwiches that are so heavily filled with lettuce, but this sandwich was light and tasty.

Another nice thing about the catering package was that everyone got a small bag of chips or carrots. The carrots made for a good healthy snack for later in the day and I appreciated that it was part of our meal.

I think I would get the Tuscan Pesto Chicken sandwich on my next visit (unless they have a seasonal special like the holiday sandwich I got last fall), although I'd probably go for the whole grain flatbread which wasn't an option this time. This is a sandwich-catered lunch option I can definitely get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment