Monday, April 30, 2012

Acapulco Spring Break

I decided to go for a salad for lunch today and ventured over to Just Salad on the earlier side (for me). Clearly I misestimated how crowded it would be at 12:15 and the line snaked around and went out the door. The good thing was that I got to listen to people's orders whenever I was near the ordering point of the line. Since I had decided that I wanted to try a new salad combination today, this worked out well. In the orders I heard, there were 5 orders of the Acapulco Spring Break (one of the spring seasonal salads) and one DIY salad. I had thought the Acapulco salad sounded interesting when I first read the combination (and it's a pretty good deal at $8.99 when the protein is shrimp and it includes avocado), so if that many people were ordering it, it couldn't be bad, right?

Not as full as some other salads I've gotten at JS, but still good

The Acapulco Spring Break salad comes with romaine lettuce, steamed shrimp (too crowded to see the bowl closely to see how many but I think there were 4), avocado, black beans & corn, cilantro, fresh jalapenos (although I'm pretty sure I didn't taste or see any jalapenos in my salad), tomatoes and tortilla strips (I got it without that). I swapped out the tortilla strips for chickpeas, and because I went with my reusable bowl, I got two extra ingredients and picked red onions and lentils.

This was a really good salad. I don't think it needs to be shrimp and would work really well with any other protein. I kind of wish mine did have jalapenos (I guess they just forgot) so I could see what it tasted like with it, as I think it would really change the flavor combination. But this might be my current favorite for cheese-less salads at JS and it's a really good price considering what's in it. I would definitely try this again, although maybe I will try to go at an off-peak time so it's less chaotic and I can make sure they include the jalapenos!

No comments:

Post a Comment